RE: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: Lina Kemmel <LKEMMEL@il.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 15:51:22 +0300
To: "Matitiahu Allouche" <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Asmus Freytag'" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, "'Behdad Esfahbod'" <behdad@behdad.org>, "'fantasai'" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, public-i18n-bidi@w3.org, "'WWW International'" <www-international@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
I think one of possible solutions could be painting to 2 different graphic
contexts.
I.e. paint the whole ligature to one GC while lam is clipped out, and
paint the whole ligature again to another GC with alif being clipped out.
Of course, to simulate a single lam-alif, accurate measurements to
properly set positions/clipping would be needed.

Regards,
Lina

"Matitiahu Allouche" <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>
27/05/2014 15:27

"'Asmus Freytag'" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, "'Behdad Esfahbod'"
<behdad@behdad.org>, "'fantasai'" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>,
<public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>
cc
"'WWW International'" <www-international@w3.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
Subject
RE: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with  display:
inline

Asmus Freytag wrote:
" I can see why an expectation that color (or underlining) should not
affect shaping is both reasonable and useful.
For generalized font and style breaks, I think it would be enough to
recommend that these are not intended to break shaping runs.
How would you handle the lam-alif ligature, if it had a font or style
break between the two letters?"

I will add that even a color change, which appears to us as reasonable and
useful, is not so easy to realize when done between  lam and alif.

--
Shalom (Regards),  Mati