RE: Implementation status of "Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML" ("dir" & "directory")

> Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:59:28 +0000
> From: ntounsi@gmail.com
> To: public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
> CC: cewcathar@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: Implementation status of "Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML" ("dir" & "directory")
>
> CE Whitehead wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Aharon, I just scanned to 2.3:
> >
> >> "2.3 Support reporting the chosen direction of and in form submissions.
> >>
> >> "HTML5 added a new attribute with roughly the proposed semantics but:
> >> Limited it to inputs of type “text” and “search”, and
> >> Called it dirname. The problem with the name “submitdir” is that most people apparently take it> to mean the plausible “directory you submit to” (i.e. similar to “action” - someone even
> >> suggested renaming it “actiondir” "
> >>

> > My comment: all of the alternate names still seem like they are intended to access a directory.
> >

> Not an argument for me.
>
> Indeed, the word "dir" may seem not appropriate, and a better name is
> welcome. But I don't see why "dir" would be taken to be related to the
> word "directory", which is an english word.
> I'm not sure why a non english speaker, e.g. french person working in
> french context, even though he/she uses english terms like 'form'
> 'strong' 'action' 'input' etc., would think about the word "dir" to be
> related to a "répertoire", which is the french word for the directory
> concept.

Hmm, one question:  I think dir is already the established word in html for text direction so I assume we are stuck with the dir part of the term.  Is that correct?

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com