Re: Implementation status of "Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML" ("dir" & "directory")

CE Whitehead wrote:

> Hi, Aharon, I just scanned to 2.3:
>
>> "2.3 Support reporting the chosen direction of  and in form submissions.
>>
>> "HTML5 added a new attribute with roughly the proposed semantics but:
>> Limited it to inputs of type “text” and “search”, and
>> Called it dirname. The problem with the name “submitdir” is that most people apparently take it> to mean the plausible “directory you submit to” (i.e. similar to “action” - someone even
>> suggested renaming it “actiondir” "
>>

> My comment: all of the alternate names still seem like they are intended to access a directory.

Not an argument for me.

Indeed, the word "dir" may seem not appropriate, and a better name is
welcome. But I don't see why "dir" would be taken to be related to the
word "directory", which is an english word.
I'm not sure why a non english speaker, e.g. french person working in
french context, even though he/she uses english terms like 'form'
'strong' 'action' 'input' etc., would think about the word "dir" to be
related to a "répertoire", which is the french word for the directory
concept.

Best, Najib