RE: Request for feedback on BEACON specification

Hi Jakob,

On 1 Dec 2017 at 12:35, Jakob Voß wrote:
> I'm working in R&D of a German library Union network and have a strong
> background in Wikipedia, Wikidata among other things. In 2010 we
> developed a simple text-based format called BEACON to let cultural
> institutions with limited technical skills share links from Wikipedia
> and other authority files to their collections.
>
> The BEACON link dump format has since been adopted widely in the German
> GLAM sector: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:BEACON
>
> Like Linked Data Fragments, BEACON can be used to publish links together
> with metadata with very limited technical requirements.
>
> I am about to publish the BEACON specification as Internet Draft and
> would welcome any feedback (e.g. at
> https://github.com/gbv/beaconspec/issues). BEACON link dumps can be
> mapped to Linked Data Fragments and I use the Hydra Core Vocabulary for
> mapping of BEACON link dumps to RDF:
>
> http://gbv.github.io/beaconspec/beacon.html#rfc.section.5.1

I had a quick look at the spec. The mapping of #PREFIX etc. to the two triples in section 5.3 is not really clear to me and seems to contradict section 5.4 which says

  The PREFIX meta field (Section 4.1.1) MAY be mapped to the RDF property
  void:uriSpace or void:uriRegexPattern with :sourceset as RDF subject.

Why is it a MAY in the sentence above? I'd go for a MUST but since I don't have much context I think it should at the very least be a SHOULD. That being said, PREFIX might not be the best name for this as it collides with Turtle's PREFIX which has different semantics [1]

Btw. is there a demo available somewhere?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/#prefixed-name