Re: Hydra Status

>> does anyone have some concrete suggestions or ideas on how to re-start the
>> work on Hydra?

I would love to see more people partake in instant communication. That
and GitHub Issues are what drives most of my work related life these
days and it’s extremely rare that I see the need to “fall back” to
voice, face to face or e-mail as means of communication.

The most successful instant communication platform these days is, to
the best of my knowledge, Slack. As has been mentioned before,
Sebastien Lambla has been so lovely as to set up a Slack organisation
for HTTP APIs[1], where we discuss everything related to API
development. Hydra has it own channel there and I think it would
benefit the CG greatly if we all joined it to discuss ideas, etc.

Everything written on the Hydra Slack channel is archived in public[2].

I know some people prefer IRC, and they can join Slack with their
favourite IRC client[3]. But for everyone else, I think Slack is a
great communication tool that I would love to be able to use to
advance the progress of Hydra.

> I'd suggest the following:
> – Split up in two task forces: one for description, one for hypermedia controls

What’s the difference between these two?

> – Appoint responsible people for leading each task force (organizing meetings etc.)

Agreed.

> – Set deadlines, milestones, deliverables

I think this is the most important bit and I hope we can organise it
all on GitHub. Without having clear, concrete issues to browse
through, discuss and act upon, I think it’s all too abstract for
people to be able to contribute. Having bad memory and being easily
distracted, I at least find it essential being able to quickly go to a
web page and see what needs to be done.

Without a project management tool such as Jira or GitHub issues, I
would be completely useless in my job. :-) I doubt that I’m alone in
needing help from computers to remember what to do. ;-)

Thinking back at how it all worked in IETF when we fleshed out RFC
4287 and 5023, I remember spending enormous amount of time on the
mailing list and accompanying wiki, reading through what must have
been megabytes of text in total. Being in my early 20’s at the time
and neither married or with children, I found the whole process so
enthralling and fun that I had no problem spending most of my free
time doing that. But today, I don’t have that luxury and need to focus
my time and energy better to be able to produce anything at all.

Choosing the right tools helps enormously in limiting the amount of
data I need to process in order to understand a problem and being able
to do something about it. Today, the tools that make that job the
easiest to me are Slack and GitHub. I hope others on this list
recognise this predicament and agree in my tools of choice.

____
[1]: http://slack.httpapis.com/
[2]: http://httpapis.slackarchive.io/jsonld_hydra/
[3]: https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/201727913-Connect-to-Slack-over-IRC-and-XMPP