Re: Hydra Design Goals: How important is RDF?

Back in the day when people were working with text and binary files
mostly, and TimBL introduced HTML, it was probably also considered a
weird syntax.

Following your argument, developers in that time must have complained
that HTML is only understood by "HTML connoisseurs" and that their
custom binary-based (or whatever) files are not part of the Web and
browsers won't display links or images stored in them.

HTML became a common document model however (and HTTP a protocol),
which browsers implemented and developers learned, and that ecosystem
took off and now we have the Web.

RDF is for Linked Data (or hypermedia, if you will) what HTML was for
the Web, and more. Just like then, we need a common, standard data
model to agree upon. So you can work with custom data models and
formats and complain that they do not inter-operate, or start working
with RDF and become part of the ecosystem.