RE: Interesting blog post: GraphQL and REST

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 11:06 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 28 June 2015 at 22:54, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> On Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:44 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> > Discussing something properly without having access to
>> > the details is awkward, and I gave expression to that. It was not my
>> > main point though. Glad to hear Facebook is good at sharing linked
>> > data!

>> Yep, no one critized that. I'm actually surprised that they didn't
>> turn off that feature yet that was written by an intern (AFAIK) a
>> couple of years ago and that is probably used very very few people.
>
> Dont knock interns!  I use this feature, at least.Bradfitz at your
> company google promised to have machine readable profiles in FOAF
> available.  That still hasnt happened.

https://www.google.com/+MarkusLanthaler

[] a schema:Person ;
    schema:name "Markus Lanthaler"@en,
        "Markus Lanthaler - Google+"@en ;
    schema:description "Lives in Italy..."@en ;
    schema:image <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/...> ;
    schema:url "https://plus.google.com/+MarkusLanthaler"@en .

as extracted by

http://rdf-translator.appspot.com/convert/microdata/n3/html/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%2BMarkusLanthaler

But this is really not we are discussing here.

> So a mere intern has created
> 1.4 billion linked data profiles, where other companies have been left
> behind.  If you think turning off a billion LD profiles is a good
> idea, id suggest you've not really considered all the possibilities of
> unexpected reuse.

Nope, never said that. And I still don't understand why we are actually discussing this?

>> What is JSON-LD and Hydra not doing?
>
> Producing 5 star linked data for profiles, in the extended JSON LD /
> Hydra eco systems.  If im wrong, can you point me to some, or even
> one?

JSON-LD and Hydra are technologies. They don't *do* anything. People can use them to do things. They can be used to produce "5 star linked data for profiles". They can be used for countless other things.

>> A query language can't be "RESTful" but that's beside the point. The
>> interface might, depending on how you look at it, look similar to
>> SPARQL over GET.
>
> OK, makes sense.  I probably didnt phrase that very well.  I was
> thinking about quersies that go sparql?query=... with GET potentially
> being useful (if long) URIs.

So?