Re: query language

On 9/10/14 4:42 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:
> hello kingsley.

>>> never. but not every identifier is a link.
>> Every identifier has a describable referent. Thus, every identifier is a
>> link, but not necessarily a Web medium hyperlink.
>
> ok, if we look at it at a very high level of abstraction then yes,
> every identifier "links" the identifier itself to the identified
> thing. but that's more in the general sense of "linking" than in the
> web-level one (links as actionable concepts).

Yes, I agree with that, hence my comment about how indirection variety
in regards to identifier resolution to referent description.

>> Basically, identifier
>> resolution (by way of indirection) varies across media.
>
> what's interesting is what interaction semantics are associated with
> an identifier. are applications supposed to follow them (links), or
> are they supposed to treat them as fixed representations of well-known
> concepts (identifiers)? two different kinds of interaction semantics
> that must be made explicit.

That' kicker!  The semantics of different kinds of interactions should
be explicit, at the very least, in any spec. We get in to trouble (RDF
and Linked Data are contemporary examples) when we treat these nuances
implicitly in specs and associated memes.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO