Re: query language

hello kingsley.

On 2014-09-10, 13:30, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>> When is a hyperlink not an identifier?
>> never. but not every identifier is a link.
> Every identifier has a describable referent. Thus, every identifier is a
> link, but not necessarily a Web medium hyperlink.

ok, if we look at it at a very high level of abstraction then yes, every
identifier "links" the identifier itself to the identified thing. but
that's more in the general sense of "linking" than in the web-level one
(links as actionable concepts).

> Basically, identifier
> resolution (by way of indirection) varies across media.

what's interesting is what interaction semantics are associated with an
identifier. are applications supposed to follow them (links), or are
they supposed to treat them as fixed representations of well-known
concepts (identifiers)? two different kinds of interaction semantics
that must be made explicit.

cheers,

dret.