RE: How to avoid that collections "break" relationships (ISSUE-41)

Hi Pavlik,

On 11 Jun 2014 at 22:06, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> Great to see you working hard on addressing what seems like a very
> common problem!

>> Better to get this right now as otherwise we have to live with it forever.
>> So thanks for bringing in other perspectives to look at these things.
>
> I tried to follow this thread but you may think bit to fast for me ;)

:-) But honestly, kudos for letting us know.

> I understand that you have found a preffered pattern for implementing it
> and now try to pick terms which will help expressing it in the most
> clear way?

Exactly.

> I guess you could have lost few other people during this mental sprint.
> Could you imagine clearly restating current direction and invite more
> people to give feedback on choosing particular terms?

Sure. I just created a Wiki page summarizing the current state of affairs:

  https://www.w3.org/community/hydra/wiki/Collection_Design

Hope this helps. If not, please let me know.

> I also don't really understand how this thread relates to parallel one
> on schema.org mailing list around ItemList
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Jun/0121.html

To be honest, I'm not completely sure either. I asked a couple of months ago if ItemList could be used for something like this and how ItemList is intended to be used. I was told (by Jason from Google) the following:

    "I appreciate re-using an existing Class, but I think ItemList was
     intended for a different use case than collections (I've given
     the same feedback to Sam).  It's a subclass of CreativeWork
     because it's for "editorialized" lists (top 10 list, playlists,
     etc.). I think we need something new like an actual Collection
     class in schema.org"

     [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-hydra/2014Mar/0128.html]

Once we are happy with the Collection design we could try to propose it for inclusion into Schema.org.

> Oh, since LDP Container got mentioned in some previous conversation
> maybe also worth adding a comment to the wiki with short comparison of
> design choices?

AFAICT, LDP hasn't finalized their design yet (especially paging is still very much in flux). Furthermore, their containers enforce specific interaction models which turns it into a completely different design. I didn't add anything to the wiki, but feel free to start a new thread here on the list if you want to discuss this further.

> Please don't let me slow you down with those suggestions/request, just
> wanted say that now everyone may find capacity to keep up with your pace
> :runner:
>
> Keep up the good work!

I very appreciate that you "stepped in". The goal of this group should be to be as inclusive as possible. We are a quite interesting group as we have members with very very different backgrounds. This might make collaboration a bit more challenging from time to time but it is really a Good Thing™ :-) It ensures that we design a solid solution.