Re: Call for consensus on defining IRI template expansion (ISSUE-30)

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be> wrote:
>> Additionally, we will add a flag, i.e., a property whose value is a boolean,
>> hydra:expandedRepresentation to IriTemplateMapping
>
> Instead of the flag, I would propose an extensible attribute:
>
>     _:x hydra:valueRepresentation hydra:ExpandedRepresentation.
>
> with
>
>     _:x hydra:valueRepresentation hydra:ValueRepresentation.
>
> being the default.
>
> This allows to define other types if necessary for other use cases;
> right now, with the boolean attribute, we'd really enforce very specific interfaces.
>
>>   - the datatype xsd:string is always omitted
>
> SHOULD be omitted, I'd say
>
>>  - datatypes are added using ^ (just one) and then the URL without
>>    enclosing it in <>
>
> I strongly suggested, as Gregg has said, to stick to two of then: ^^.
> Just because of convention in Turtle (They're the ones
> that should have decided to only use one.)
>

>> Regarding encoding of values I think we should be as strict and simple
>> as possible and reuse standards:
>>
>> 1. Accept only absolute URIs (no angle brackets)
>> 2. Take any value as-is and apply standard encoding
>
> That doesn't allow us to differentiate when necessary.
>
> Note that there might be several ways to encode values;
> one might be simple as you say, the other might be more complex.
>
>> And I'm not sure that language tags and typed literals are even
>> necessary here. I would personally be using an operation with some RDF
>> body if I wanted to transmit such payload.
>
> Then you exclude GET requests.

I feel like these decisions are a little bit out of scope for Hydra
itself. Is there no such proposal elsewhere? Assuming there is no
established way for URL encoding RDF values I would agree with what
has been decided. Use Turtle as it's the most text friendly format. If
we decide to keep language tags and typed literals that's fine. The
value could then simply be a turtle-formatted RDF object. Even with
the angle brackets to be consistent. Though I would not allow prefixed
URIs.

However your initial question was more about how Hydra should define
what is the parameter and not how to put it there. I think this should
be the focus. Please see my other email [1].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-hydra/2014Jul/0094.html