Re: Call for consensus on defining IRI template expansion (ISSUE-30)

On Jul 16, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

> Currently, the expansion of IRI templates is underspecified in the sense
> that it is not defined how a value (IRI, string, number, etc.) should be
> included in the expanded IRI. Thus the proposal is to only use the lexical
> representation of the value or the IRI (no quoting) by default.
> Additionally, we will add a flag, i.e., a property whose value is a boolean,
> hydra:expandedRepresentation to IriTemplateMapping, that, if set to true,
> changes the expansion to work as follows:
>
>  - The lexical representation is enclosed in quotes with no escaping of
>    the value itself
>  - the datatype xsd:string is always omitted
>  - language tags are appended to the lexical representation by using an
>    @ symbol
>  - datatypes are added using ^ (just one) and then the URL without
>    enclosing it in <>
>  - URLs are kept as they are
>
> Thus, the following values in Turtle notation expand to the following
> strings when used in a IRI template
>
>  - """Value with a " inside"""  --> "Value with a " inside"
>    (without the """ the inner quote would have to be escaped in Turtle)
>  - "English"@en --> "English"@en
>  - "24"^^<xsd:integer> --> "24"^http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#integer
>  - http://example.com/ --> http://example.com/

I'd like to see more general motivation for this feature, including some more explicit examples of using IRI templates.

Why break from Turtle/N-Triples on ^ vs ^^? Otherwise, this looks like an N-Triples format, where IRIs are "bare", and literals are always quoted.

Also, this proposal doesn't seem to consider the general discussion on the issue.

Gregg