Re: [css-pseudo][css-ui] Allow to control selection width related to letter-spacing

On 3 February 2016 at 10:11, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 02/03/2016 01:04 AM, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
>

>> Reading https://bugzil.la/125390 I realized that this is obviously a
>> long-standing issue.
>>
>> As the behavior is obviously discussed controversially, what about
>> introducing some keywords to the syntax to control the
>> behavior? E.g. something like this:
>>
>> letter-spacing: [ normal | <length> ] [ inside || [ outside |
>> inline-start | inline-end ] ]?
>>
>> This should cover all use cases. And according to the currently defined
>> behavior of "Letter-spacing must not be applied at the
>> beginning or at the end of a line." the default value would map to inside.
>>

> That is *not* going to help anything get implemented faster. :)

That's clear to me. I just said it would solve all use cases.

We're pretty confident of the correct behavior here, just have to
> wait for it to be implemented.

As I said before, forbidding letter-spacing at the beginning or end of a
line may not be desirable in all cases, because the text cursor will then
not fit to the character placement on editable text.
Anyway, my use case is covered by the behavior currently defined within the
spec.

Sebastian