Re: [HTML-AAM] effect of CSS display and tabindex on <span>

From: Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 14:57:10 -0400
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@chromium.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, Jason Kiss <jason@accessibleculture.org>, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
In Firefox we rely much on layout. If something was rendered as a table
then it's exposed as table on accessibility layer too. There are strong
voices that CSS display shouldn't affect on content semantics because the
author has ARIA for that, and I find this argument reasonable. On the other
hand this approach may harm web apps that don't use much ARIA and relies on
the browser to get some a11y for free. I would love to have consistency
here, I'm not sure though how it can be achieved.
Thanks.
Alexander.