Re: Issue: HTML5.1 / media provider object, initialize id, kind and label

On 24 Jun 2015 11:18 pm, "Stefan Håkansson LK" <
stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:

> On 24/06/15 13:57, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > On 24 Jun 2015 9:04 pm, "Stefan Håkansson LK"
> > <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com
> > <mailto:stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > On 24/06/15 12:50, Brendan Long wrote:
> >  > > There is a document in progress to describe where “id”, “kind”,
etc.
> >  > > come from:
> >  > >
> >  > > http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-sourcing-inband-tracks/
> >  > > https://github.com/w3c/HTMLSourcingInbandTracks
> >  >
> >  > Thanks for the update!
> >  >
> >  > However, it seems like (at least for now) that document deals with
> >  > mapping for different media file formats rather than the real-time
> >  > MediaStreams in scope for my mail.
> >  >
> >  > Do you think MediaStreams will be covered in that document
eventually?
> >  > For the time being we're keeping this stuff in the "Media Capture and
> >  > Streams" document.
> >  >
> >  >

> > Either place is fine for me FWIW.
>
> I propose leaving things as they are for now. I think the logical place
> would still be where media elements are defined since what we're after
> is essentially something saying that if the "media provider object
> includes information regarding id and label, carry it over to the
> Audio/VideoTrack's created in the media element's Audio/VideoTrackList"
> or something like that.
>
> Similar to what is now said regarding enabled
>
> "If either the media resource or the address of the current media
> resource indicate a particular set of audio/video tracks to enable, or
> if the user agent has information that would facilitate the selection of
> specific audio/video tracks to improve the user's experience, then: if
> this audio track is one of the ones to enable/if this video track is the
> first such video track, then set enable to true, otherwise, set enable
> to false."
>

> > I'm more curious about where you
> > source this information from, though, seeding as e.g. a camera or
> > microphone will not tell you an id, kind or label. They are semantic
> > constructs that either the user or the app can provide. So, TBH I don't
> > think it needs specification.
>
> How id and label is initiated for MediaStreamTrack's is outlined in
> http://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-main/

That looks fine to me. So it's tweaky just about the @kind, which has
semantic meaning, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/embedded-content-0.html#dom-TrackList-getKind-categories
. For the typical camera and microphone inputs, the value would probably be
"main". The app should probably just be enabled to set it if it needs
something else.

Cheers,
Silvia.