Re: aria-describedat

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:59:31 +0100
To: Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "Gunderson, Jon R" <jongund@illinois.edu>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, "Ted O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>, Leonie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com>, Markus Gylling <markus.gylling@gmail.com>, "public-digipub-ig@w3.org" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, W3C PF - DPUB Joint Task Force <public-dpub-aria@w3.org>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, PF <public-pfwg@w3.org>, SVG WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>, "David (Standards) Singer" <singer@apple.com>
On 11 August 2015 at 10:40, Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
wrote:

> Actually, the example wouldn't work at the moment, and would force
> everyone to read the full table, which is pretty sub-optimal, given that
> details/summary isn't implemented - and therefore nor is it part of an HTML
> standard.

There are polyfils available for details/summary and pretty much every
JavaScript framework has a widget with similar functionality, so It would
only 'force' the table to be displayed by default for users who use
Firefox/IE/Edge and do not have JavaScript enabled. For Chrome/Safari/Opera
users it would work fine as details/summary is implemented.

+ I think that if details/summary is a useful pattern for the use cases it
makes a good case for getting it implemented in browsers that don't
currently support it.

--

Regards

SteveF