Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

On Sep 27, 2014 2:20 PM, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On 09/27/2014 11:57 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:
>>

>> On Sep 26, 2014 9:21 PM, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com
>> <mailto:singer@apple.com>> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > I could have asked the director myself. I am trying to determine
>> whether it is good enough for us, the plebs, the WG.
>>  >
>>  > >>
>>  > >> David Singer
>>  > >> Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.
>>  > >>

>> I think that if you look through the thread, sentiment seems clear -
>> even objections that were made are mostly resolved by w3c hosting an
>> exact copy for archival purposes.  Most of the rest seems to be
>> speculation about whether this would be approved, and what if it isn't?
>>
>> These are valuable conversations but I think they may seem to perpetuate
>> the idea that there is strong opposition to this, which I've not really
>> seen here.
>>
>> I'd like to suggest that asking Tim or doing a straw poll among ACs you
>> know about whether they would support what would appear to be community
>> consensus on this seems definitely more productive than lots of
>> continued what-ifs that may be discussing elaborate mitigation plans and
>> inadvertently sending a mixed message.
>>
>> I think +director is good here if it helps remove speculation even a bit.
>

> I don't fully see the value of asking a question of the form "if the
WebApps Working Group were to do something that they appear to be unwilling
or unable to do, would you approve of it?"

Am I doing that? As I said, looking at the thread it seems like there is
considerably agreement.  Am I missing it?  Who in the WG is unwilling or
unable/why - can you clarify?

> I also encourage you to not discount the input of PLH who has had a lot
more experience than I in taking questions like these to the director.

I certainly don't, i value his input.  Did I miss an important point he
made that seems like an objection?  I merely suggested that it seems OK for
Art to have done so given what at least from here looks as I explained.

His experience is that the Director takes the opportunity to look at the
actual specification text and other factors like test results.  My
experience is consistent with that.

It seems that, as you suggested earlier, others will have a say.  It seems
rational to make the case and see what they say.  I'm not on the WG, so
take it for what it's worth, but I hold this notion that this sort of
consensus is best built through actual dialog over speculation.  Just
because I think it's appropriate and efficient doesn't mean others have to
agree.