Re: Proposal to change documentation on tabindex to strongly discourage values greater 0

From: <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:11:22 +0200
To: "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>, Marco Zehe <mzehe@mozilla.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Cc: W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>

17.10.2014, 16:24, "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>:
> [...]

Given that SVG can be integrated directly into HTML, it makes more sense to work in parallel with them.

I note that they already had a concept of focus navigation that was probably more like what we are looking for than the current tabindex.

> Harmonization with a future version of HTML would, of course, also be desirable. It isn't clear to me what range of use cases would need to be addressed, nor what the requirements are.

A use case is to build a component that is used in various pages, in different locations, and locally assign tabindex within it, but not have that tabindex override the order of tabbing around the rest of the page.

So the requirement *might* be something like being able to scope a set of tabindex attributes, such that they only apply within the scope.

cheers

Chaals