Re: Navigator standard change proposal

On 11/02/2014 5:47 PM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> If anything, I'd propose that those properties be explicitly marked as
> deprecated from the spec itself, with a note that user agents may
> still expose them, with whatever string they deem necessary, due to
> the reliance of legacy scripts in the wild on these.

I would support a depreciation notice on navigator.appName and
navigator.appVersion with a note as suggested by Patrick.

Also, I'm wondering if the following text under 6.6.1.1Client
identification should also be updated also. Currently the text seems to
indicate that the properties under discussion can be used to create work
around solutions. Should this be removed or changed?

"In certain cases, despite the best efforts of the entire industry, Web
browsers have bugs and limitations that Web authors are forced to work
around.
This section defines a collection of attributes that can be used to
determine, from script, the kind of user agent in use, in order to work
around these issues.
Client detection should always be limited to detecting known current
versions; future versions and unknown versions should always be assumed
to be fully compliant."
- from Editor's Draft
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#dom-navigator

Filing a bug would be a next step if others agree,
Thoughts/Comments Appreciated
Peter

--
Peter