Re: XML:ID extension spec proposal to HTML5 documents

Jirka Kosek, Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:52:15 +0100:
> On 5.2.2014 16:21, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> The above hints to me that the DTD we are looking for *just* to assign
>> ID to id, ought to be pretty simple. We don’t need a complete DTD. We
>> only need something that assigns ID to id. The named entities would of
>> course also be nice to have, though.
>
> It's bad idea to solve ID issue by adding DTD fragments into each
> document. That's too much burden on authors.

Now I am excited to see what kind of work saving tips you have. Shall
we see ...

> You can either:
>
> 1. Use toolchain that understands that id attribute is of type ID (eg.
> validator.nu parser)

Wow. I am sure that is the simplest thing in world. 2 seconds?

> 2. Use different XPointer scheme which is not depending on ID type. E.g.
> <xi:include href="..." xpointer="xpath(//*[@id = 'foo'])"/>

For, sure, my ”toolchain” does not support that XPointer scheme.

Frankly, using xml:id is tons easier to handle. But thank you.
--
leif halvard silli