Re: XML:ID extension spec proposal to HTML5 documents

On 05/02/2014 15:21, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> but whatever identifier you use then it's fairly trivial to have a
>> >catalog ad a local DTD that declares any id attributes you need to be of
>> >type ID when used with an XML parser.

> Is this a simple as configuring a Web server?;-)  Seriously, I’d love
> to be able to do this. But I am at loss w.r.t. to how to set it up.
> Examples would be fine.

Using xmllint as an example, most XML parsers will have an equivalent
system.

xmllint --help says

         --catalogs : use SGML catalogs from $SGML_CATALOG_FILES
                      otherwise XML Catalogs starting from
                  file:///etc/xml/catalog are activated by default

and the file /etc/xml/catalog has lines like

   <system systemId="http://glade.gnome.org/glade-2.0.dtd"
uri="/usr/share/xml/libglade/glade-2.0.dtd"/>

If you were to add a line

   <system systemId="about:legacy-compat"
uri="/usr/local/my-hackedhtml5dtd-withID.dtd"/>

Then any file using the about:legacy-compat DTD would use whatever ID
declarations you chose to put in your DTD. You could do the same for all
the supported HTML public identifiers.

There is absolutely no need to pollute the document with internal DTD
subset declarations or xml:id attributes.

David