Re: TextTrackCue changes

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Jerry Smith (WINDOWS) <
jdsmith@microsoft.com> wrote:

> My wording was imprecise.  I was disagreeing with the commit on the change
> because it reduces capability on the textTrackCue object that is currently
> used by websites.  I interpreted Glenn's comments as understanding that,
> but perhaps I misread him.
>
> I noted Ian's comment about retaining the constructor, the text attribute
> and (apparently previously removed) getCueAsHTML as being bad design.  As
> things stand, the generic cue object is the only one defined that supports
> TTML for these operations.  I don't agree with removing them.

Since there is no defined use of TextTrackCue with TTML cues, either before
(HTML5 CR1) or now (HTML5.1 Nightly and WHATWG specs), then I don't
understand your objection. That is, for HTML5 CR1, there is:

(1) no defined semantics of TextTrackCue with TTML;
(2) no definition of what TextTrackCue.text might mean with TTML;
(3) no definition of what TextTrackCue.getCueAsHTML might mean with TTML;

further

(4) HTML5 CR1 specified that VTT semantics applied when creating a
TextTrack, e.g., see step 5 of addTextTrack under [1]:

"Associate the text track list of
cues<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/embedded-content-0.html#text-track-list-of-cues>
with
the rules for updating the display of WebVTT text
tracks<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/infrastructure.html#rules-for-updating-the-display-of-webvtt-text-tracks>
as
its rules for updating the text track
rendering<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/embedded-content-0.html#rules-for-updating-the-text-track-rendering>
. [WEBVTT]<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/references.html#refsWEBVTT>
"

Given this, it is unclear what you are disagreeing with, since there never
has been a defined use of these APIs with TTML.