Re: <input type="date">: not marked at risk

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Jukka K. Korpela
<jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> 2013-09-21 10:01, Masataka Yakura wrote:
>>
>> I've just found that the current HTML5 CR draft lists all dates-and-time
>> related input types as "at risk", except the "date" type.
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/CR-html5-20130806/#status-of-this-document
>>
>> Is that an oversight, or is there any reason not to mark this particular
>> type as at risk?
>

> I don't think it's an oversight. It probably reflects the expected
> usefulness of <input type=date>, which is much greater than for the other
> types. Date picker controls are (expected to be) needed in booking systems,
> calendar planning systems, in prompting for birth date or desired delivery
> date, etc. Such systems are often commercially important.
>
> But all of the date and/or time input types suffer from the basic problem
> that they would have difficulties in competing with methods currently in
> use, often using specific visual rendering as well as Ajax-based interaction
> with a server-side system - and possibly with well-designed localization
> that matches the locale of the page. They would be nice in simple
> applications and in prototyping, but the big question is: will they become
> common enough in practice as compared with the burden on browser
> implementors?
>
> I'm inclined into saying "No", but I think <input type=date> has much better
> chances of meeting the criterion than the other date and/or time input types
> (even though <input type=time> is essentially simpler to implement).

FYI: being "at risk" has nothing to do with the usefulness of the
feature - the spec's concern is whether there is cross-UA support of
the feature. Such a feature can be a useful feature (I personally have
used such input types in my recent apps), but its standardisation may
need to be delayed to the next version of HTML if UAs don't have
uniform support of the feature. That's all.

Regards,
Silvia.