Re: 4.13.1 Bread crumb navigation - use of right angle brackets

On 17 September 2013 11:21, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17/09/2013 15:46, Reinier Kaper wrote:
>
>  If you want to show a user a path (i.e. "you came here by visiting this
>> page, then this one and then this one"), then there's no hierarchy, as
>> it's a dynamic path (read: the path could be anything and is dependant
>> on the user's action).
>>

> What if I, as an author, see a breadcramb as the shortest possible
> absolute path from the homepage to where I am now? Not interested in
> conveying the hierarchy, just the steps along the way? Then I'd mark it up
> as an ordered flat list.

Can you give me a solid example of what this would be?
I have yet to find a website without a hierarchy, yet display an absolute
path to a page, but maybe that's me ;-)

I have a feeling that even if you can give an example, that a hierarchy
would always be more accurate / 'correct', but let's await the example ;-)

>  Technically yes, but then it would be a path and it would not reflect a
>> structure (rather a user's actions). I guess it depends on what you want
>> to show, either the structure, or how a user got somewhere.
>>

> Or whether you think breadcrumbs must, by definition, also show the
> hierarchical structure.

If we distinguish between breadcrumbs and paths, then yes :-)
If we just use the general term 'path' for both then no, not per se.