Re: 4.13.1 Bread crumb navigation - use of right angle brackets

On 17/09/2013 15:46, Reinier Kaper wrote:

> If you want to show a user a path (i.e. "you came here by visiting this
> page, then this one and then this one"), then there's no hierarchy, as
> it's a dynamic path (read: the path could be anything and is dependant
> on the user's action).

What if I, as an author, see a breadcramb as the shortest possible
absolute path from the homepage to where I am now? Not interested in
conveying the hierarchy, just the steps along the way? Then I'd mark it
up as an ordered flat list.

> Technically yes, but then it would be a path and it would not reflect a
> structure (rather a user's actions). I guess it depends on what you want
> to show, either the structure, or how a user got somewhere.

Or whether you think breadcrumbs must, by definition, also show the
hierarchical structure.

Patrick H. Lauke