Re: Conformance requirements on browsers

2013-09-13 18:34, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>  <bgsound> and <backgroundsound> are identical as far as the spec is
> concerned.  Doing either one is equally not ok.  Or equally OK if you
> want to violate the SHOULD NOT.

What if you (think you) do not violate the SHOULD NOT? As long as HTML5
CR cites RFC 2199 for a definition of “should not”, we need to accept
its subjectiveness:

“SHOULD NOT

  This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that
    there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the
    particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full
    implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed
    before implementing any behavior described with this label.”

So, for example, in supporting <bgsound>, IE is conforming if they think
that there are valid reasons to do so, after considering the
implications etc.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/