Re: Conformance requirements on browsers

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:50:56 +0400, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 9/12/13 4:49 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> So you do mean that the spec requires certain things and forbids
>> anything else?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Sounds rather drastic.
>
> The other alternative is lack of interop.

and, err, lack of innovation except within a group that makes an HTML
spec. Which in a world where many browsers are built by groups who don't
even work in english, seems pretty narrow-minded.

As Jukka asked, where is it actually stated that everything not required
or permitted is forbidden?

As far as I can tell, this approach amounts to a strong pragmatic argument
for not worrying about formally conforming to the spec, but instead just
reading it for piecemeal requirements on interop of various features. I'm
not sure that's a clever way to make the Web better.

cheers

Chaals