RE: use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

[...]
> Okay so focussing on the semantics here, what would be the
> most appropriate way to convey the meaning of the marked
> text?

In the content is where I am leaning right now.

> Let's say we have a quoted piece of text and we want to
> "take" a small part of it and elaborate on it.
>
> If there's no appropriate element for it, then one could be
> created if there's enough use-cases. The mark element seems
> to partially express the right meaning (e.g. "this piece is
> of some sort of relevance"), but how do we link it to the
> context?

Right now (I know you are leading up to your example), I am thinking it becomes a footnote. I expect the content would all be available if styles and script fail to load -- assuming this is content that is key to understanding the text or conveying some information. At which point the <mark> just becomes a style hook...?

> How about the following markup. How could we link the
> 'marked' piece to the explanation?
> (Granted, the mark-up is a little elaborate this way)
>
> <figure>
> half pound</mark>  of pasta"</p>
>     <cite> John Doe</cite>
>   <figcaption> The source of the confusion when John
> accidentally boiled too much water for the pasta. He
> mistakenly assumed only half a pound of pasta was used.
> </figcaption>
> </figure>

Perhaps something like this?

  <footer>
  </footer>

Which brings me back to thinking that <mark> (in this context) doesn't do anything a <span> couldn't do.