Re: proposal: subline element

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 13:40:48 +0200
To: Heydon Pickering <heydon@heydonworks.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Heydon Pickering, Fri, 31 May 2013 11:18:28 +0100:
> I've read through the other comments and one theme I'm strongly opposed to
> is that of making <subline> a child element that can appear _inside_ a
> heading. Validators should read "you can't use a <subline> in this context".
>
> A subheading is not a component of a heading but a complement to it. To
> take a random (and rather dry!) example I found (here:

http://dalicetrost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Proposal-cover-graphic.jpg).

Is <figcaption> part of the <figure>? One could argue that captions are
not part the stuff that it captions. Still all caption elements are
children of the thing that they caption.

The advantage of having a choice between placing <subline> inside or
outside the h1-h6 elements is that one this way can govern whether the
subline should show up in outlines as a section of a heading - or not.
--
leif halvard sili