Re: proposal: subline element

> This sounds rather clumsy - I would expect assistive software to use
> pauses, stress, and tone to express headings,  but even if they announce
> "heading level one" (and presumably then "end of heading level one" at some
> point?), I don't see what it could help to insert the word "subline" into
> the speech. Just saying "Space is not the only void", followed by a pause,
> would be more natural. What would the added value of the word "subline" be?
> (And I have no idea of what "subline" might be in other languages. A cannot
> find a word for the proposed meaning "a single or multiple subheadings,
> subtitles, taglines or bylines" in any language that I know.

As I keep stressing the subline proposal is just a sketch of an idea open
to major changes and scrapping altogether.

'subline' is just a token for the concept its name could and probably will
change if it progresses. and whatever its called it does not mean that this
would be voiced. It may be its role value but its role description (text
announced to users) may be something else altogether.

In many cases such as in the case of headings or landmarks the default AT
behaviour to announce the presence "heading level x" or "banner landmark"
whether that is optimal or not is a different question.

Here http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/landmarks.html are some (old)
test results for landmarks, what AT announce is included in the data table.

--

Regards

SteveF