Re: Validity constraints on <section>

On 21/03/2013 15:15 , Léonie Watson wrote:
> The lockerz.com homepage has 108 regions (screen readers use the region role
> mapping to report section elements). That's 216 announcements on a single
> page.

Actually I'm counting 149 :)

> One example on the lockerz.com homepage causes my screen reader to announce
> the following:
>
> "Region"
> "Region"
> "Region"
> "Region"
> "Region"
> "Region"
> "Link graphic W310/image0013620927118302ukw51"
> "Region end"
> "Region"

Yes, that's exactly the problem I was thinking of.

So far the only negative feedback we've received is that in books or
papers it is common to have something that is logically a section not
have a title, for instance a dedication or an abstract.

While that's a valid concern, I tend to think that from an a11y it's
pretty unhelpful. Such section are visually distinguished (say with page
breaks or italics) but without the visual queues you have to read them
to know what they are.

Chatting with Steve, we wonder if the rule shouldn't be: a section must
have either a heading, or aria-label(ledby).