Re: Validity constraints on <section>

On 21.3.2013 11:02, Robin Berjon wrote:
> there are increasing concerns over the excessive use of <section>. Some
> authors seem to basically think of it as "sexy modern <div>" for no
> particular reason (a good example: http://lockerz.com/).
>
> The specification does have some advice about only using <section> for
> content that is meant to appear in the document outline, but given that
> the outline doesn't show up anywhere, that's not something that's ever
> likely to stop this drift.

I always though that introducing semantic elements like <section> will
not be very useful for HTML. They will be misused as any other HTML
element. HTML is not rigid and semantic format like DocBook or DITA.

> I've therefore been wondering: would it make sense to make section
> invalid if it does not have heading content as its direct children?

We can even make this more strict and require heading content to be
first child of section.

> Put
> differently, what are the use cases for a headless section?

More sexy <div>? :-)