Re: Validity constraints on <section>

I'm inclined to agree with this as I too see <section> being used where a
same could be said for <article> to be honest.
For me both of them should have a heading.
When I'm marking up content, if it has a specific heading, then it's a good
indication that <section> or <article> should be used.

So I would support making a <section> (and <article>) without a heading
invalid.

On 21 March 2013 11:02, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there are increasing concerns over the excessive use of <section>. Some
> authors seem to basically think of it as "sexy modern <div>" for no
> particular reason (a good example: http://lockerz.com/).
>
> The specification does have some advice about only using <section> for
> content that is meant to appear in the document outline, but given that the
> outline doesn't show up anywhere, that's not something that's ever likely
> to stop this drift.
>
> I've therefore been wondering: would it make sense to make section invalid
> if it does not have heading content as its direct children? Put
> differently, what are the use cases for a headless section?
>
> --

ian devlin
e: ian@iandevlin.com
w: www.iandevlin.com