Re: Proposal to add ping="" to HTML 5.1

On 2/27/13 2:13 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 12:48 PM, Edward O'Connor wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Steve suggests[1] that we revisit the decision[2] to exclude <a ping>
>> from the spec, especially given that it's implemented in both WebKit[4]
>> and Gecko[5].
>
> I would still encourage you to review the objections
> that were produced at the time and see if they are still relevant.

If we consider that in the intervening time period (since the original
proposal) we've had the European Union decide that cookies represented a
clear and present danger to the modern lifestyle, I'd say treading
carefully is an excellent idea.

And thus far, this looks like something that will arouse a lot more
interest from hackers than it will from web developers.  For the
developer, other methods exist which are almost guaranteed to be more
reliable and accurate.  But for the hacker? Its entire purpose is to
"spy" on user behavior.

      tom