Re: <subline> becomes <subhead> and other updates

2013-06-08 16:21, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> <subline> becomes <subhead> and other updates
> http://rawgithub.com/w3c/subline/master/index.html<http://t.co/xWQE2owXRm>

I still wonder what is the problem that such proposals are supposed to
solve.

Surely there are often parts of headings that might be classified as
"subheads", for example. Or they might seen as parts of headings styled
differently. Is there some need to force authors into using one specific
markup for them, as opposite to dealing with it with <small> or <span>
or whatever? Even if this means that *no* currently used browser
supports such markup?

If the problem being solved is authors' question "which markup should I
use for...", then I would say that such a problem needs no solution in
the form of a new markup element. People have solved such problems over
20 years, with whatever HTML elements are available. There is no need
for unification, partly because there is no objectively definable,
reasonably exact definition for the structure that the new elements are
supposed to indicate.

I would like to draw your attention to the book that has probably the
best-known title with "sublines", The Origin of Species:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Origin_of_Species_title_page.jpg The
book cover has a longish heading presented in four or five different
font sizes, divided in a manner that would presumably call not only for
<subhead> but also <subsubhead> and <subsubsubhead>, if we think that
any part of a heading that *could* be viewed as being structurally
different from the rest *must* be marked up with a tag that indicates that.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/