Re: Technical Review of EME (DRM in HTML5)

On 01/26/2013 05:16 PM, David Dorwin wrote:
> While I would normally ignore such blog posts, since this was sent to
> the WG and is presented as a "technical review", I feel the need to
> warn members that it is riddled with inaccurate statements and
> comparisons, misunderstandings of the spec, and assumptions by the
> author. If you choose to read it, please do so with a critical eye.

Perhaps you could point out a few of the inaccurate statements? Or a few
of the comparisons that led me to the erroneous conclusions in the post?
Or tell me what am I misunderstanding?

Editor's of specifications usually do that kind of thing. They don't
ignore technical input, even if it is a blog post. They especially don't
ignore input if it is one of their colleagues attempting to do a
critical read of the specification they put together.

I've authored and edited a number of W3C specifications over the years.
I know how to read them. I read your specification, *carefully*, and my
blog post outlines the conclusions I came to. So, if somebody that has
actually built DRM systems and has plenty of experience writing
specifications came to all of these erroneous conclusions, how much of a
chance does the rest of the world have at understanding what you're
attempting to accomplish?

Let me be crystal clear. I would be delighted if this specification
figured out how to create an open and inter-operable DRM ecosystem that
was simple to implement, that was fair to content creators and viewers
alike, and that would work across all browsers on all platforms. Really,
I would.

The specification that is in front of us doesn't do that, so I pointed
out why it doesn't do that. I would like you to tell me exactly why I am
wrong so that I can become a supporter of your specification. Ignoring
me is not going to make the problems with your specification go away.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Aaron Swartz, PaySwarm, and Academic Journals
http://manu.sporny.org/2013/payswarm-journals/