Re: Is the current definition of the article element in HTML useful?

On 23/01/2013 13:17 , Steve Faulkner wrote:
>> Concerning exposing the semantic differences between the two, why
>> not handle that with RDFa/Microdata? See http://schema.org/Comment
>> and >http://schema.org/Article? Or perhaps more appropriately for
>> this specific usage http://schema.org/BlogPosting and
>> http://schema.org/UserComments?
>
> I am skeptical of the practicality asking user agents to modify the
> semantics based on rdf/microdata or ask developers to add it to
> provide info to the accessibility layer.

Right, I figured that might be the issue — but you didn't say :)

One thing that would be helpful here would be to understand a11y use
case for providing a strong distinction between the two. I'm guessing
navigating to the useful parts of the document and skipping the inanity,
but I'm no expert.

One thing that I find annoying with comments is that they tend to be
available by default, which lengthens the page. In turn, I tend to base
decisions to read now or later on the size of the scrolling widget —
which is then thrown off.

I wonder if recommending to mark comments up as <article> inside
<details> would address the sort of issue you had in mind.