Re: Oppose DRM ! Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On 1/22/13 5:17 PM, Clarke Stevens wrote:
> 2. While rejecting the proposed solution might make a principled
> statement, it is unlikely (IMO) to lead to the desired outcome of content
> being distributed without restriction.

I think this is a gross mischaracterization of the desired outcome for
many of us.

The desired outcome for me is a specification that can actually be
interoperably implemented by any implementor who wishes to do so, like
other W3C specifications.  What we have so far is a specification that
would require some sort of out-of-band agreement on various things to be
implementable interoperably.

That is to say, I think this is a use case worth addressing, but I don't
think the current approach does much for interoperability, since it
still requires various private agreements to actually achieve it.

-Boris