Re: Extension spec for hgroup (Was: Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014)

On 09/25/2012 08:44 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> If retaining more of the parsing gets us to Recommendation faster, then that
>> may be a win.
>
> Currently, Gecko, WebKit, Presto and Trident all behave the same way
> with this example:
> http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1796
>
> In other words, on this point, we currently have interoperability
> across the board. Changing the spec here would move us further from
> interoperability and, therefore, further from exiting the CR.
>
> The same consideration applies to *any* change to the “Parsing HTML
> documents” section. If it was allowed to progress on the REC track as
> an individual item, we could declare REC on the parsing algorithm
> *today* with 4 independent interoperable browser implementations.

I know of nothing that would disallow such.  And if we could get to REC
with even a part of HTML5 in 2013, I know of some people that would be
extremely pleased.  If that is something you would like to propose,
please sketch out more completely what you would like to see in such a
document.  Also feel free to use github and create a branch for
consideration.  You can ping me via IRC if you have any questions.

> Therefore, instead of raising these points repeatedly about various
> individual parser changes as side effects of other proposals, I’d like
> to ask the Chairs to pre-emptively exclude the parsing section from
> removals or additions of elements for the HTML5 snapshot.

Pre-emptively excluding is something the WG would have to decide.  A
separate document would be another way to address this -- and probably a
much more effective one.

> --
> Henri Sivonen
> hsivonen@iki.fi