Re: Mailing Lists (was Re: Evolving AppCache discussions)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:06:29 +0200, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
wrote:

> On 09/24/2012 06:18 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>
>>   1) Enforce the discussion guidelines swiftly and effectively. Instead
>> of public warnings that drag on for months or years without remedying
>> the situation, obvious violations of the discussion guidelines should
>> result in a timeout (i.e. temporary ban from posting) immediately.
>> Obvious repeat violations should result in a removal from the working
>> group.

Agreed.

> One of the persistent problems is that there are posts -- like the one I
> am responding to in fact -- which interleaves loaded emotional terms
> into a message that otherwise contains sincere pragmatic advice.

Yes. And it is human nature that leads us to do this, so it is probably
*very* difficult to train ourselves out of it en masse :(

It's still worth the effort

> That being said, the chairs have discussed this and agree that we can do
> better,  We are fully prepared to improve enforcement via temporary and
> permanent bans.

As well, perhaps it is worth moving administrative *discussion* off this
list (keeping key announcements so people can follow the group's key
processes without having to hold every part of it in the microscope), as
an alternative to moving all technical discussions off it. I find the
signal/noise ratio is not a huge problem, but the proliferation of lists
is. But then, I don't know if that's just me, or 2/3 of the group.

I note that people who complain about the signal-noise ration here are not
actually adverse to a single list holding a wide range of technical
discussion.

(But basically I am glad I am not chair here, and I can happily abandon
these responsibilities to you guys. Thanks for taking them, by the way).

cheers

Chaals