Re: Issue 30 (Was: RE: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014)

On 09/20/2012 06:32 PM, John Foliot wrote:

> I suspect that maintaining the status quo with @longdesc today, while
> working on a superior implementation of a method to deliver longer textual
> descriptions would prove more fruitful for all concerned.

I would agree with the bulk of what you stated in your original email,
and want to comment specifically on the statement I quoted above.

The current status quo is that we have a specification for longdesc in
HTML 4.0 that is only implemented natively in one major browser.

At the present time we have people who have pushed for a survey on two
proposals, both of which appear to have overreach in different
directions.  The right answer is not to spend weeks on a survey and
preparing a response only to then forward the matter onto the Director.
  We would not be doing our jobs if we did so.

The right answer is to reject both proposals and tell the members
interested in this topic to work harder on coming up with a compromise
proposal.

Come back with a proposal that either respects the status quo or
attempts to change the status quo.  I care not which.  All I ask is that
if you (collectively) decide to pursue the latter direction, please get
the endorsement of those that would be affected by such a proposal.

- Sam Ruby