Re: [HTMLWG] CR Exit Criteria redux

On 9/20/12 12:11 PM, Adrian Bateman wrote:
>> A user agent which: (1) implements the "Web browsers and other interactive
>> user agents" conformance class of the specification. (2) is available to the
>> general public. The implementation may be a shipping product or other
>> publicly available version (i.e., beta version, preview release, or "nightly
>> build"). Non-shipping product releases must have implemented the feature(s)
>> for a period of at least one month in order to demonstrate stability. (3) is
>> not experimental (i.e., a version specifically designed to pass the test
>> suite and is not intended for normal usage going forward).
>
> Since the goal of testing for CR is to confirm that it is possible to independently
> implement the spec and achieve interoperability, why is one month of "stability"
> necessary?

Because otherwise I can implement part of a spec in Gecko tomorrow, put
it in a nightly, then discover sometime during the 18 week
nightly/beta/rc period before shipping it to actual users that that part
of a spec is not web-compatible?

> If someone ships an implementation that passes tests and demonstrates
> that interoperability has been achieved, why is it necessary to wait another month?

Because the problem may be that the spec is not in fact implementable
without breaking other things and hence needs changing.

-Boris