Re: Clarification of "Extensibility" section (Was: Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014)

On 09/20/2012 04:24 AM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 20.9.2012 9:16, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>
>> Validators can support extension specs by including them as options
>> for validating. (W3C validator already supports multiple
>> specifications, including extension specificiations, e.g XHTML +
>> RDFa.)
>
> Given the possible number of extension specs I don't think this is
> practical approach. It would be nightmare to maintain validator which
> supports HTML5 + any combination of RDFa/MD/longdesc/meta generator/...

I can confirm what Benjamin stated: the existing validator already
supports multiple specifications, including extension specifications.

The validator that is deployed on the W3C site is based on validator.nu.
  It is an instance proof that it is indeed practical to build such a
validator.

The interface at the W3C site produces a message as which extensions are
included by default.  The interface at the validator.nu site has an
input field where you can list schemas to be included.

- Sam Ruby