Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014

On 09/20/2012 07:49 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>   In regards to http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/164 I have
> spent considerable time and effort providing what was required by the
> current WG process.
>
> It does appear that this work was a waste of my time as it will no
> longer be taken into account under the new process, instead I must now
> produce an extension spec, once that is produced  why would I not
> expect to have the rules changed again?

I'd like to draw your attention to the last two words in the first
sentence in the second paragraph in the very email that you quoted:

 >> We'd like to now propose our draft plan [1] to the HTML Working
Group for consideration.

In case that is not clear, let me state that we are indeed soliciting
input.  After a discussion period (undefined, we honestly don't know how
long this will go) and potentially after a few revisions of the plan are
made, we intend to issue a call for consensus on that version of the plan.

I will state that the specific circumstances around issue 164 are
difficult.  We have five different proposals, and informal input that
"anything but hgroup" would be acceptable to some.  We have encouraged
people to work together to consolidate these proposals down to a fewer
number, but that simply hasn't happened.

We've suggested that the semantics of hgroup are at risk, and that we
begin the process of removing unstable features in October.

> regards
> SteveF

- Sam Ruby