From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: September-14-12 7:13 AM
To: HTMLWG WG
Cc: Jason Kiss; Cynthia Shelly
Subject: [HTML-AAPI] placeholder implementation issues

Hi all,

I am concerned about the (accessibility) implementation of placeholder in
browsers, we now have a number of browsers that use the placeholder string
in the accessible name calculation, but there are differences in when the
placeholder content is exposed depending upon the other sources available
for the accessible name.[1] This leads to a situation where developers
cannot rely upon the information in the placeholder being exposed to users
across browsers and platforms.

i.e. its an interoperability issue.

what i suggest we need to do is look at the current implementations and work
out which is the most desirable and see if we can get browser implementers
to converge on that.

any thoughts?

[1] http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/placeholder-labelling.html

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG

www.twitter.com/stevefaulkner
dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/ Web Accessibility Toolbar -
www.paciellogroup.com/resources/wat-ie-about.html