Re: maincontent element

hi Cameron, the same arguments you are using for <maincontent> could
be used for role=main

> i don't think that the majority of people read specifications, or pay
> attention to them even if they do. Far more people will use it more
> liberally than ever intended because it "makes sense to them".

> I would expect to start to see a "main content" wrapper inside almost
> every element, essentially as a replacement for <div>. We don't need
> another meaningless <div>.

considering the correct usage of ARIA role=main is so high some people
must have read the spec or read some source which correctly
interpreted the spec and people get the idea, its a simple one that is
hard to misinterpret kinda like <maincontent>

your statement 'Far more people will use it more liberally than ever
intended because it "makes sense to them"' is mere speculation it
would further discussion if you could provide some analogous data to
back up your statements (as I have).

the same could be said of a HTML and the <maincontent> element:

"It won't be misused because that would defeat the point of specifying
it in the first place."

regards
SteveF

--