Re: Formal Objections on REC-track status of polyglot and alt-techniques

On 11/29/2012 12:31 PM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> On 2012-11-29 18:15, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> At the time we discussed Note track vs REC at TPAC, I did not
>> mention anything about withdrawing Formal Objections, temporarily or otherwise.
>> I simply did not think about it.
>>
>> After thinking about it and discussing, I've concluded that it would
>> be better to have a Working Group Decision
>
> OK, I have no problem with this.
>
> However, please run the poll with independent questions about:
>
> a) Whether the documents should or should not contain any normative
> statements.

At the present time, that's a separate Formal Objection.  We don't run
preference polls for technical decisions.

> b) Whether the document should be on the REC-track or NOTE-track.
>
>> [*] To pre-emptively address potential worries: if WG decides to
>> proceed with these documents on the REC track, this approach will still
>> result in your Formal Objections being forwarded to the Director to
>> consider as part of the CR transition and will not prejudice them in any
>> way.
>
> In that case, since the presence of a formal objection does not preclude
> the WG from conducting a poll on the issue, it seems my formal objection
> can simply remain conditional on the document's REC-track status.

My hope would be that you would actually consider the results from the
poll before deciding whether or not you wanted to pursue the second
objection.  In any case, should a preference poll result in a Decision
to pursue the REC-track for this document, you will be consulted as to
whether or not you want to pursue the second Formal Objection.

- Sam Ruby