Re: CfC: Request transition of HTML Microdata to Candidate Recommendation

Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:25:38 +0400, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>
>> Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>>>  Yes. For what it is worth, I personally think RDFa is generally a
>>> technically better solution. But as Marcos says, "so what"? Our job
>>> at W3C is to make standards for the technology the market decides to
>>> use.
>>
>> Standards, plural? not a standard way to do things, singular?
>
> If the market wants more than one way, that's what we should be
> offering. I think we all agree that it is *better* to have an agreed
> single way. Of *course* we all agree that it is better to have the
> technologically best specification as the standard.

I'd be interested to see the data / info that says the market wants more
than one offering here.

Do you, does yandex?

> ... It took some years to get constructive dialogue on why
> people want one, the other, or both, and how they best fit together in
> the world. The sort of constructive dialogue that is the special product
> of W3C, which I think is unparalleled in its ability to provide this
> value to the Web.

I agree, however the only real discussion I've seen around Microdata and
RDFa is the discussion which led up to the TAG guidance:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-comments/2011Jun/0038.html

On the back of that I was aware of it being taken seriously by some
parties, and RDFa Lite being put forward. I'm unaware of any such effort
or dialogue around Microdata though.

I would love a pointer to this dialogue, anything which says "why I can
use Microdata but I can't use RDFa (Lite)", any conversation, anything
which suggests that it's a good idea to publish Microdata as a REC - in
addition to RDFa (Lite) - other than it simply existing.

Best,

Nathan