Fwd: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>

To a certain extent, using the terms "normative" and "non-normative" with
regard to publishing W3C documents is a mis-nomer. The W3C does not label
documents as normative or non-normative. It labels them as REC or NOTE.
What determines if such a document is normative or not is not related to
what the document calls itself, it relates to how other specifications
(whether published by W3C or not) refer to it. A NOTE can be referenced as
a normative document and a REC can be referenced as a non-normative
document.

So I suggest you de-focus on the notion of normativity, and instead simply
focus on the advantages or disadvantages of using either REC or NOTE
approach.