Re: ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

Hi,

Maciej wrote, on behalf of the chairs:

> 'Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback
> content'
> The current status for this issue:

> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-201
>
> So far, we have one Change Proposal submitted:
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Canvas_hit_testing
>
> At this time the Chairs would also like to solicit additional Change
> Proposals (possibly with "zero edits" as the Proposal Details), in case
> anyone would like to advocate the status quo or a different change than
> the specific one in the existing Change Proposals.

I volunteer to write an alternate Change Proposal for this issue.

Hit testing functionality in <canvas> can best be provided by an exposed
Path object API such as the one recently added to the Editor's Draft.
I've advocated for this in the past in this WG, and I welcome the
editor's recent work in this area. That said, the Path API is very new
and I've been using my HTML WG time to work on Change Proposals for
other issues, so I'll need some time to write up rationale for the
recent API additions.

I have a CP for ISSUE-200 due next week, and I've just asked for an
extension to the week after that for ISSUE-194. If the chairs could give
me until the subsequent week (Wednesday 11 April, if I'm doing the math
right) to produce a CP for ISSUE-201, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Ted